Chef Gerard, who opened Bocadillos, serves this simple spanish dish at his Basque-inflected restaurant. Special thanks to the staff at the San Francisco Chronicle for the opportunity for me to test this recipe.
If you like, you can use sea bass instead of snapper, and you can grill the fish instead of broiling.
- Yield : 2 servings
1. Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle the outside of the fish with salt and pepper.
2. Place the fish under the broiler for 5 minutes. Turn them over and broil for anohter 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
3. Run the tip of a knife along the back of the fish to fully open it and remove the central bone. (If you use fillets instead of a whole fish, broil for a total of 5 minutes, skin side up.)
4. Combine the olive oil with garlic in a small saucepan over medium-high heat just until the garlic turns golden, 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the chill and sherry vinegar and swirl the mixture together. Pour it over the fish.