Crème Diplomat or Diplomat Cream is a mixture of pastry cream and whipped cream with similar consistencies in a 1:1 ratio. The pastry cream used should soft (made with the minimal amount of cornstarch or flour only.) Can be used in many of the same applications pastry cream is used.
Pastry cream can be used for a variety of uses. Specifically it can be piped into items like cream puffs and eclairs to create a creamy filling. Pastry cream is also an essential ingredient in "diplomat cream"- a mixture of pastry cream, whipped cream, gelatin, and flavoring. This type of cream can be used in items like Napoleons and fruit tarts.
- Soak gelatin in brandy for 15 minutes
- Melt over water bath to 105 to 110 degrees F
- Whisk melted gelatin into pastry cream
- Immediately fold in soft whipped cream
- Pipe into desired pastries as fillings